It seems Jesus thought so too. Let's remember that it was the children who were crying 'Hosanna' to the Lord. "But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple area, "Hosanna to the Son of David," they were indignant. Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read, "'From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise'?" Matt. 21:15-16
We are REALLY excited this because it will accomplish the following things (although the list is endless):
- It will teach them to minister to each other!
- It will teach them how to search the Scriptures for answers both on someone else's behalf and their own.
- They may end up discerning by the Spirit (using a gift they didn't know they had) who this person is that needed this solution. They may discover they love bringing a teaching or being an evangelist or whatever is in them.
- It will open up deep conversation between parents and children, possibly leading to confession about what they personally go through in their lives.
- It will make them more aware of how important it is to think of others and what they go through, not just focusing on themselves and their own troubles.
It was such an amazing time! Rather than making them sit there and "be quiet" and just aimlessly bringing scripture to them, it ended up being very dynamic with their participation and questions about the Scriptures the adult read that evening.
In two weeks, one of these kids will be ready to bring their teaching or exhortation. We're excited and we can't wait to see what God will speak to them!
No matter where or how you gather among God's people, challenge your children to begin exploring the Word of God to answer their problems and discover their spiritual gifts. You'll help them have a relationship with Christ that is personal but isn't self focused and set them on a path to be used by God now and for the rest of their lives. Don't raise a pew warmer, raise a contributing part of Christ's body!